Did you know that space heaters plugged into extension cords or power strips can result in a fatality?
The Umatilla County Fire District in Oregon recently posted a public service announcement on Facebook about the consequences of combining power strips and space heaters: “The weather is getting colder, and people are pulling out their heaters. We want to remind you that you should NEVER plug a heater into a power strip.These units are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or even catch fire.”
You won’t believe the following. After this same fire department posted the announcement, they uploaded the photo above from their very own fire station!
According to the US National Safety Fire Administration, 1/2 of all heating home fires occur during December, January, and February. From 2009 to 2013, heating equipment accounted for 56,000 home fires!
The following steps will increase your safety this winter:
Never plug your heater into a power strip, as it can overheat and cause a fire.
Never use an extension cord with your heater, as it can also overheat and cause a fire.
Keep heaters a minimum of 12 inches away from beds, curtains, or other flammables.
Check the cords of your heaters frequently to make sure they are not frayed or damaged.
Protect yourself and your children by standing back from heaters so clothes don’t ignite.