Let’s learn from the experience of others – How do burn accidents happen?
Each week we’ll alert you to new stories:
An 8 year old girl from Musrara, Jerusalem was climbing on the kitchen counter to get plates down from a cabinet, while setting the table for Shabbat. When she jumped down, the cord of the electric urn got wrapped around her foot and the boiling water spilled on top of her. She was badly burned.
A 10 month old boy, was sitting next to the kitchen counter. Near the edge was an electric kettle. All of a sudden the cord from the kettle fell near him and as he grabbed the cord, the boiling water spilled and burned him. Meir spent 21 days in the hospital and is still recovering.
A 7 year old girl from RBS jumped up on the counter to get some treats, before she jumped down, the wire to the kettle cord got stuck under her foot so, as she jumped down, the cord pulled the boiling hot Urn on top of her, burning the side of her face, shoulder and back with 2-3 degree burns.
A young married man in his 20’s from Jerusalem, was lighting the gas stove, when his tzitis (natural fiber) caught on fire. He did not know how to put it out using: stop, drop & roll, thus he got badly burned. (With synthetic clothing, one must use water or dirt).
A pot with boiling food was cooking on a small Israeli stove. A three year old child opened the door of the oven and started to climb on the door and then the whole stove fell over and the boiling food fell on top of him burning 25% of his body.
A seven year old boy from Jerusalem, just before Pesach, was standing around an open fire where his neighbors were burning Challah.There was an explosion from NEFT (kerosene) and his legs got badly burned.
If you have a burn story to share please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org