To the Editor: FIRE WARNING
An incident occurred in my kitchen this morning that has me so shaken up I felt that I had to warn the olam as soon as possible.
At about 7 a.m, my son put a bag of microwave popcorn into the microwave to prepare a snack for himself and my other children. A few minutes later, he came running to me. Bechasdei Hashem, I happened to be resting in the living room, which at that time of the day is a rare occurrence. I went into the kitchen to find flames shooting out of the microwave.
I quickly ran to the place where I remembered storing my fire extinguisher which, to be honest, I had not thought about in years, and which could easily have been moved somewhere else by this time. Baruch Hashem, it was right where I first looked, and I managed to put out the fire.
A few minutes later my cabinet would have caught fire, and I shudder to think of what might have happened. The nissim involved are obvious, but I also wanted to emphasize the lessons to be learned here. First of all, please make sure that you have at least one working fire extinguisher in your home, and that you know precise~
ly where it is – preferably in or near the kitchen. Second, make sure to constantly keep a check on whatever is cooking, be it on the stove, in the oven or in the microwave