Fire can engulf a house in 60 seconds! Make sure you have a safe and quick method of escape!
A Good Warning to us all
My brother and his wife learned a hard lesson this last week. Their house burned down; nothing left but ashes. They have good insurance, so the home will be replaced and most of the contents. That is the good news. However, they were sick when they found out the cause of the fire.
The insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for several hours. He traced the cause of the fire to the master bathroom. He asked my sister-in-law what she had plugged in in the bathroom. She listed the normal things….curling iron, blow-dryer. He kept saying to her, “No, this would be something that would disintegrate at high temperatures.” Then, my sister-in-law remembered she had a Glade Plug-in air freshener in the bathroom.[pullquote align=”right” textalign=”left” width=”30%”]The inspector said he has seen more home fires started with the plug-in type room fresheners than anything else.[/pullquote]The investigator had one of those “Aha” moments. He said that was the cause of the fire and that he has seen more home fires started with the plug-in type room fresheners than anything else. He said the plastic they are made from is a THIN plastic. He said in every case there was nothing left to prove that it even existed. When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the two prongs left from the plug-in were still in there. My sister-in-law had one of the plug-ins that had a small night light built in it.
She said she had noticed that the light would dim, and then finally go out. She would walk in a few hours later, and the light would be back on again. The investigator said that the unit was getting too hot, and would dim and go out rather than just blow the light bulb. Once it cooled down, it would come back on. That is a warning sign. The investigator said he personally wouldn’t have any type of plug in fragrance device anywhere in his house. He has seen too many burned down homes. Thought I would warn you all. Pass this on to the ones that you love.
In Case of a fire, REMEMBER
- Don’t Panic — Concentrate on the task at hand – safe escape.
- Act Quickly — Fires move much faster than you can ever imagine.
- Stay Low – If there’s smoke in the area, get down on your hands and knees, and quickly move to safety.
- Feel the Door — Don’t enter through a doorway that feels hot, chances are the fire is on the other side.
- Go to the Window — If you can’t find a way out, move quickly to the window, and signal others of your dilemma.
- Never Use An Elevator — Fires move constantly upward through vertical openings like elevator shafts. If the elevator loses power and stalls, you’ve had it!
- Report the Fire — Once you and your family are safe, report the fire immediately, by calling 911 or your local emergency number.
(brought to you by Kimberly)
Install Smoke Detectors
Check smoke detectors once a month and change the batteries at least once a year. Smoke detectors sense abnormal amounts of smoke or invisible combustion gases in the air. They can detect both smoldering and burning fires. At least one smoke detector should be installed on every level of a house or building. Purchase smoke detectors labeled by the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or Factory Mutual (FM). Post emergency numbers near telephones.
Be aware that if a fire threatens your home, you should not place the call to emergency services from inside the home. It is better to get out and place the call to fire authorities from a safe location outside the home.
What to do After a Fire Emergency
- Give first aid where appropriate.
- Seriously injured victims should be transported to professional medical help immediately.
- Stay out of the damaged building.
- Return only when fire authorities say it is safe.
- Make sure you have a safe fire escape method for all situations.
You may have installed a very expensive home security system. But if you cannot escape the burning structure you have a false level of confidence. Remember – space Heaters Need Space. Keep portable and space heaters at least 3 feet from anything that may burn. Never leave heaters on when you leave home or go to sleep. Children and pets should always be kept away from them. Smokers need to be extra careful never smoke in bed or when you are sleepy. Carelessly discarded cigarettes are a leading cause of fire deaths in the United States.
Be Careful Cooking
Keep cooking areas clear of combustibles and wear short or tight-fitting sleeves when you cook. Keep the handles of your pots turned inward so they do not over-hang the stove. If grease catches fire, carefully slide a lid over the pan and smother the flames, then turn off the burner. Matches and Lighters are Dangerous In the hands of a child, matches and lighters can be deadly! Store them where kids can’t reach them, preferably in a locked area. Teach children that matches and lighters are “tools” and should only be used by adults.
Use Electricity Safely
If an appliance smokes or has an unusual smell, unplug it immediately and have it repaired. Replace frayed or cracked electrical cords and don’t overload extension cords. They should not be run under rugs. Never tamper with the fuse box or use the improper size fuse.
How to Cool a Burn
If someone gets burned, immediately place the wound under cool water for 10 to 15 minutes. If the burn blisters or chars, see a doctor immediately! Be Careful of Halogen Lights – If you have halogen lights, make sure they are away from flammable drapes and low ceiling areas. Never leave them on when you leave your home or office.
(brought to you by firesaftytips.com)