My Chanukah Miracle Last Yom Kippur
True story by S.B.: I’m here this Chanukah because I panicked when a pot of hot oil on the stove burst into flames. Since I had no idea of how to stop an oil fire, had I acted calmer I would have done the wrong thing and caused an explosion! Let me explain. On Erev Yom Kippur, a small pot of hot oil was left a little too long on the fire. I went out of the kitchen for a jiffy to give my baby a pacifier. When I got back, there were flames half a meter high coming out of the pot! The handle of the pot was not on fire. I was scared that the cabinets might catch fire since the flames were so high, so I grabbed the handle and raced through the living room to get out of the house.
Flames went up my arm and I got second & third degree burns on my hands and arm. One miracle was that the flames reached the very edge of my sleeve but didn’t catch the material of my dress on fire. I threw the flaming pot outside, down on the ground. Nothing else caught on fire. I almost fainted from shock. People came to help. I was shaking. Even though my wig caught on fire, and one whole side of it got singed, the fire didn’t touch my face.
The main purpose why I want share my story is to relate Hashem’s chesed last Erev Yom Kippur. I learned so much that I didn’t know before. What should one do if a pot with oilcatches fire, like one with latkes or sufganiyot? I had no idea- do you? Had I been calmer, I might have mistakenly thrown water on the oil, causing the oil to explode in my face! I didn’t do that- and there’s my BIG MIRACLE!
My burns took a month to fully heal. There are still red places where you can see that I got burned. My hands are fully functional now. I didn’t need physical therapy but I did need a burn specialist to get special crèmes.
Letters From Our Readers:
From Esther in Jerusalem
Thank you for your recent article about skin care in the sun and how to check for changes. My mother read it, and immediately took my sisters and me (ranging in ages from16 to 30) to the skin doctor as a precautionary check up. The doctor found a small skin growth on my face that I needed to take care of. It was a weird pimple that kept coming back. I never thought it could be anything to worry about. It peeled and kept coming back. It turned out to be a form of basal cell skin cancer. The doctor said it wasn’t life threatening but that it could have eventually spread over my face. My message to your other readers is don’t take anything for granted. If you see a change or irregularity on your skin, check it out please. Thanks to the Burn Prevention Post, that’s exactly what we did.
From Tiferes in Los Angeles
A tip for your newsletter: the best thing for a burn is honey. We had a friend who got hot chicken oil all over her hand. She put the honey on, and it healed almost immediately, except for the one spot where she hadn’t put the honey and which was still red and burning.
From Miriam in Beit Shemesh
Please tell your readers that if they are ever in a fire, evacuate first before calling for help! Get everyone out of there! Our 34 year old gas dryer recently caught fire! It was a miracle that no one was hurt and that our entire apt complex didn’t explode.
To help prevent this, check and clean your dryer vents frequently- some dryers have 2 vents (one’s bigger).
Thermostatic Mixer Valves can Significantly Reduce the Risk of Scalding in Children
According to researchers at the University of Nottingham, using a thermostatic mixer valve to control the maximum temperature of children’s bath water can significantly reduce the temperature of bath water and prevent scalding.[/warning]
Eight Gevaldike Chanukah Tips
- Keep Chanukah and Shabbos candles away from curtains.
- Keep matches out of reach of children.
- Make sure that pot handles face inward toward the back of the stove.
- Make sure coffee urns, crock pots, and their cords are away from the reach of young children.
- Keep hot liquids like coffee and hot soup out of the reach of children who may be sitting on your lap, in high chairs, or in strollers.
- Buy a fire extinguisher, and read the directions!
- Replace frayed electric cords.
- Change fire alarm batteries.
- Turn down the temperature of your water heater.
(The ninth tip’s the Shamesh!)